Saturday, January 16, 2010

My thoughts on running

I just got back from the YMCA. I'm dripping wet from sweat. For some reason my body does that when I exercise hard. It didn't use to, but I've come to accept it. A shower feels extra good after a work-out.

I only ran two miles this morning. I need to be careful with my knees and ankles. They are fragile at my age, and I don't want to pound them into injury.

This event is worthy of a post because I now have only 1.6 more miles to run until I hit 50 miles of running since August 2009. It's a goal I set, and I'm so so close!
This goal was set in honor of turning 50, and my completion date is my 50th birthday (which is in a few weeks). I saw that someone else did it, admired it, and I decided to "go for it." (I probably started my running in June, but didn't start recording it until August.)
I'm down to one more run - probably this coming Saturday. I exercise other ways, Monday through Friday, so basically running has been an additional exercise for me.

Exercise is a part of me, but I am NOT a runner. Running has always been one of my least favorite ways to exercise. Since young adulthood, running has always felt forced.

Running has been more enjoyable and easier for me lately. It's a childlike activity, and there's a freedom I feel as I pass through the air. It still feels forced, but I lose weight faster, and get in such great physical shape when I run. It also pushes my cardio work-out. That's the biggest plus to it.

Since setting my goal, I've had 2 injuries which were small set backs. The first happened a week before the Triathlon. I iced the ankle injury, stayed off of it, and wrapped it during the run. Thankfully I ran it, and finished with no major problems. The second injury happened during a 5K, and my peroneus brevis muscle (low inner muscle above ankle) which had been injured from ballet dancing, became injured even more. The pain became so great that I couldn't run any further. I turned around, about at the mile marker, and walked back. It felt like such a defeat because I didn't finish the race. Thankfully that muscle healed quickly.

I'm grateful for a body that has been a sport to be put through this experiment. I'm grateful for a body that responds to my requests and does the best she can. I'm grateful for the way running, or any exercise makes me feel so alive!

I'm also grateful for my friend Johna who has run at least 25 of those miles with me (and probably close to 35 total last year). It's special when you accomplish something together, and she was my triathlon partner in August too.

I hope this doesn't come across as boasting. That is not my intent. I only want those closest to me to celebrate this accomplishment with me! I ran an extra victory lap today - because I'm feeling successful. I love that feeling!

3 comments:

mr_matalino said...

This post makes me miss my running days in Phoenix. If only Idaho had perfect weather in the winter and be flat with a running trail I'd be a happy camper!

Katie said...

No, no Lynda--you're not boasting! That is a feat, and I'm glad to know about it! btw, athletes that sweat a lot need more potassium. You should check it out and see what happens--bananas, anyone???

Jil said...

I think that's a really cool idea! As someone who also hates running I can relate and sincerely say WAY TO GO!