Friday, April 10, 2009

Have a joyful and blessed Easter!

Last Sunday, on Palm Sunday, I performed with the Gateway Choral Society. We sang "The Seven Last words of Christ" by Theodore Dubois. It is a cantata written in 1867 in Paris. We sang with an orchestra and it was powerful!

This piece of work is based on the seven last statements Jesus spoke while on the cross. It is scripturally based. The words of Christ are sung, as well as the "crowds" sentiments. There is often the peace and forgiveness of Jesus against the anger and hostility of the Jews.

I was extremely touched while singing this, and was often in tears during the performance. I am especially mindful of our Savior the last few days (today is Good Friday). His last words have gone over and over in my mind.

I am so looking forward to Easter and want to wish everyone a joyous day!
Jesus' Atonement and Resurrection truly is THE GOOD NEWS (the Gospel).

For those of you who are curious, here are the Seven last words of Christ:

#1. "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."
#2. "Verily, thou shalt be in Paradise today with me. Amen, so I tell thee."
#3. " See, O woman? Here behold thy Son beloved."
#4. "God, my Father, why hast Thou forsaken me?
#5. "I am athirst".
#6. "Father, into Thy hands I commend my soul".
#7. "It is finished".

The final choral starts like this:

"Christ, we do all adore Thee, and we do praise Thee for ever."

I know that my Redeemer lives, What joy that this sweet sentence gives!

No comments: