Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Interview questions

Michael in front of some buildings in New Bremen, including the old Village fire station.

A high school friend of mine gave me some "interview" questions to answer (after I "volunteered" to be interviewed). It's caused me to reflect about my life and I thought these questions and answers will also make a nice addition to my personal history for others to come to know me (especially my posterity).

I will answer a question per day. Here's my first question:

Question #1

Your family has lived in New Bremen for some time now; tell us about the experience and how it has shaped your lives.

William and I have lived in New Bremen for almost 19 years. We moved here in May of 1990 and Michael celebrated his first birthday here. We never planned on living here for so long. The advantages have been wonderful. There also have been disadvantages which I will relate later.

Overall the experience has been incredible. The village itself is quaint, historic, picturesque, and community oriented. It's truly an oasis. The village feels safe, secure and is very "well-groomed". Security is tight because of certain businesses here. We were told when we moved here that we would be "outsiders" for a long time. (We were told the community was close knit and didn't necessarily welcome move in's.) The village is kept especially lovely because of businesses who care about the community and donate in big ways to almost every aspect of our village.

When we first moved here we were impressed with the bright green, meticulously kept yards and lawns. We were impressed with how immaculate the farms were kept. We were grateful that neighbors took our children under their wings. We enjoyed the way members of our community decorated their yards (for Easter, July 4th, Thanksgiving, etc.,) We loved the "old-fashion" feel of the village. For example people driving by would just wave at us. When we first moved here, William had someone offer to loan him money at a grocery store (whom he didn't know) when he forgot his checkbook. When at the swimming pool there would be announcements over the speakers which said something like "Johnny, your mother just called and it's time for you to go home". Tellers at the bank knew our names. Things like that tickled us and we thought we had stepped back twenty years in time. We learned what a community can look like when everyone takes pride and respect in their property and community. There is not one home in New Bremen that looks "junky". It's pretty amazing. There isn't one section of homes in New Bremen that is sub-standard where others look "down" at your home or the sub-division (or farm) where you live. It's a pretty fantastic feeling to live in that kind of environment.

The homes and churches here are antique. Most of the homes on the main streets are eighty years or older. (New Bremen was founded in 1842 I believe). We were able to purchase a hundred year old home. It has been an amazing blessing for us. We have really enjoyed the "character" of our older home. We have restored our home, trying to make it more original and livable, (which can be a pain, but which also is quite rewarding). Living in and having respect for an older home has taught us more about stewardship. It also had taught us to value older things (antiques) and have a greater appreciation for the past.

When we moved to New Bremen, the school was all in one building (kindergarten through twelfth grade.) That was pretty cool. Our church was in Lima (fifty five minutes away) and our Church Stake Center was in Toledo (two hours away). That was hard, especially because we had a very young family (babies and toddlers) and we drove two cars almost every Sundays. Our church callings were usually quite demanding, and that was also challenging!

We learned to sacrifice (we would be gone most Sundays for at least five hours for church - two on the road and three for church services). We would usually drive up to the church one or two times more per week besides on Sundays. We learned to adapt, we learned to adjust, and we somehow managed. I know the Lord has blessed us for making those extra efforts and sacrifices, especially because it wasn't easy!

I started a dance business here 16 years ago. I have felt part of the community and have loved working with the boys and girls in this area. I have learned a great deal having the business (sometimes hard lessons). I have been impressed especially by the beautiful children. They are so good and so lovely and so wonderful. I have always said I get the "cream of the crop" to teach. The parents are such good mothers and fathers and their main concern is for their children's welfare. They sacrifice so their children can learn and grow and have a happy, fun, fulfilling childhood. I have learned to deal in the business world and yet try to have kindness and respect for others and their feelings.

I have become involved in an organization called (OCCL - Ohio Child Conservation League) and I teach classes at the YMCA and interact with extremely GOOD women. They are the salt of the earth kind of people. I have learned to have a unity and a respect for others, and vice versa which is very dear to my heart. I still sometimes feel like an "outsider" but with friends at every crossroad, I feel mostly like I belong and contribute to the whole. William and I have a "game night" every month with friends who are extremely diverse, yet some of the best people I have ever known. They are a light on a hill.

William and I never would have known our church and community friends had we not moved to New Bremen. Our friends are incredible people who have taught us countless lessons. They have been examples to us when we needed guidance and help. We could not have survived here without them! In a way they have substituted for our family.

William was called to be the first branch president in our little St. Marys area. That proved to be a great blessing for our family. He had many responsibilities and a brand new church was built for our branch in the first few years of his calling. Being in a branch has broadened my understanding of our Church in so many ways. The main thing I have learned is that we are all here to serve and help and lift our brothers and sisters in Christ. I knew that - but it's been reinforced by living in a branch. I watched my husband be a servant to so many and to truly care about others with compassion and love. He continues to serve in the Stake and give his all!

There have been harder aspects to living here.

Our children have had to learn to stand up for their beliefs and standards. This has not always been easy for them. They have struggled to find appropriate young men or young women to date, or go to parties where alcohol is not served, or have their religion misunderstood by teachers or students at school. It's not easy to feel different when you desire to fit in. One benefit has been that our children have learned to stand up for their beliefs and have come to know who they are maybe a little earlier than they would have. I feel they are stronger for this challenge. We once asked William's father (when he was giving William a Father's blessing) a question about a major concern of ours. We didn't want our children to "miss out" on anything and wondered if we were depriving them of anything by living so far from our extended family and others with whom our children could more easily relate to. The answer in the blessing was that parents can raise a righteous family anywhere. That has been comforting to us over the years.

The hardest aspect of living here has been living so far away from family. We have missed much in that area. Almost all of our vacations have been to go west to see our families. We have always felt that is MOST important, but we have not been able to take "our own vacations". We have not had our children as close to grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins and they have missed out on some bonding opportunities. I have struggled with that challenge, but William and I both have felt that the Lord wants us here. If we follow his guidance, he will bless us. One positive from all this is that my immediate family is extremely close. We have had to band together and be there for each other. As I ponder about living here I count my blessings! We have been so blessed living in this beautiful community!


Answers to the questions below to come:

2) You have four sons and one daughter, what has been the biggest difference raising them?
3) You enjoy physical activity and keeping busy; what is your favorite leisure time activity?
4) How did losing a brother in High School affect your life?

Do you want to be "interviewed"? (It's actually a really interesting activity!) If you would rather just email me to be interviewed that would be great too. I WANT TO INTERVIEW AT LEAST ONE PERSON - PLEASE!!

Here's How:
If you are interested in having me give you a few interview questions for you to answer on your blog, be one of the first five people to follow these instructions and I’ll be in touch.

INSTRUCTIONS1. Leave me a comment in this post saying, “Interview me” (please include your email address as well).2. I will respond by emailing you five questions of my choosing.3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.4. You will include these instructions and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions each. (Okay, if this part is stopping you, you don't have to do it). Just let me interview YOU:)

2 comments:

Katie said...

You are great, Lynda! I loved reading that.

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

I really enjoyed reading about you, Lynda. I learned so much and look forward to the other questions being answered.