Saturday, November 1, 2008

A quiet home

With Michael on his mission and William out of town our home was quiet this last week. A quiet home is something I have always loved! My family is LOUD. They are boisterous. They have energy and excitement and passion. I have yearned for peace and quiet most of my married life. And yet now, I am realizing that I NEED some excitement and noise. I didn't realize that a home can be TOO quiet if it's for a longer period of time.

Now, I still love a quiet home. I love silence when I read, or write or study. But, I am coming to the conclusion that there needs to be a balance. I've grown accustomed to the noise and I amazingly DO miss it. I guess it's not the noise I miss, but my family!

I suppose this is my introduction to being an empty nester. I am grateful Tanner is still home and that we can enjoy two more years with him. He is a wonderful son. I was grateful to be able to spend some one on one time with him this last week.
( It was very strange for me to cook for only two this past week. I haven't done that in 28 years. It feels foreign to me! I still had a fridge full of food by the end of the week.)

And so I will learn and adapt in this new phase in my life. I thoroughly love having adult children who are examples to me and teach me! I love being a grandmother and having Marc and Laura Lee live so close by.( It would be a much harder stage without them near.) I love to watch my children become... I love the fact that Ryan is getting married next month to such a wonderful young woman. I love to watch Jeffrey strive to reach his potential in his talents. I love to watch Marc and Laura Lee be such devoted and loving parents to Addie. I love to witness Michael's transformation into a missionary. I love to see Tanner set goals and be so motivated to achieve them.

And so for now, I will bask in this new stage of life. I will enjoy the quiet more reflective times. And when the louder, more chaotic times come, I will be grateful!

1 comment:

mr_matalino said...

It was amazing how loud and small that house was 10 years ago. Now Tanner has his own FLOOR in the house! I'm glad you won't have to spend Christmas this year without most of your family.