Sunday, November 23, 2008

Today I'm thankful for my SKIN and BENADRYL!

I had a major problem last Thursday. I broke out in a rash and hives. I was teaching an exercise class (cycle and sculpt) and my legs started itching. I looked down and saw red bumps (a rash appearing) on my legs. As the class progressed, it got worse and worse. It was extremely uncomfortable, irritating and confusing. I have never had any problems WHATSOEVER with rashes, skin irritations, etc., By the time I got home, my  legs were  was covered with hives and I had some on my arms also.  Now I didn't even know what a hive was until my class members told me that's what I had. They said my exercising made it way worse. (I am completely ignorant of skin issues). 

I promptly took Benadryl and got in a cold bath and then shower (another thing my class members suggested.)  I was able to get some relief. I went back to the YMCA to teach a yoga class and when I mentioned I had had a rash earlier in the morning, everyone backed away from me. It was funny.

Anyway, within a few hours the rash was gone and I was terribly SLEEPY! I am figuring it was a side effect of the medication. I was so relieved to have the rash and itching problem gone. I have new sympathy for allergy sufferers and people who have allergic reactions to anything!

Now comes the hard part. What did I react to? What was I SO ALLERGIC to? I began to rack my brain. Was the problem the wool leg warmers I had worn the day earlier? (I've worn them several times before). Was the problem the breakfast I had eaten (grapefruit and cottage cheese)? Was the problem the Mexican restaurant I had eaten at the day before and had never eaten there before? Was the problem the Agape (similar to Goodwill) store I had been to the day before to donate items and had stayed there a half hour to sort clothes? I RACKED my brain trying to figure out WHAT WAS DIFFERENT and what could it be?

I still have not figured it out except for I KNOW it wasn't the Mexican food, because I had a doggie bag and decided to eat it the next day to see if that was the problem. I need to "expose myself" again to wear the leg warmers and  eat a grapefruit to rule them out.  Should I go to an allergist?  

Well, hopefully the mystery will be figured out sooner rather than later. I'll keep you posted!!

AND I have a new respect and appreciation for my SKIN  which has been so good to me for so long and has done it's job of protecting me. And I am thankful for Benadryl which saved me hours and maybe days of suffering!

Any ideas, comments, or suggestions would be appreciated. I am new to this problem!

3 comments:

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

I'm not surprised you've never had skin problems before because you have always had such beautiful skin! I once got a horrible rash in my armpit of all places. We never figured out what caused it. Glad you are better:)

Ryan & Sarah said...

Itchy skin is no good! How awful! I am glad that you are better! :) I once had an alergic reaction to Codine, my whole body was itchy like I had a million ants all over. Thank heaven for benadryl!

mr_matalino said...

Amazing that we have the technology today huh? Take a pill and it seems like the worlds problems are solved. Now if only they made a pill for mortgages...